Sunday 28 September 2008


Thank you from Deb and Chris

The coffee morning was a great success. I think everyone enjoyed themselves and the event not only raised lots of money for Macmillan Cancer Support but also enabled old friends to meet and chat. Over 60 people came along. Donations are still trickling in and the total has risen past £750. With Gift Aid that will put the total raised to over £1000. Well done to all who came.

I found the occasion strangely moving. How can a room full of people, many of whom I hardly know, (Deb knows them all of course) all drinking coffee and eating cakes, get you so emotional? I think it was the feeling of good will and support from your friends family and neighbours. Everyone was there because they knew Deb and cared about her. It is the fashion to mock UK culture. But I am glad I live in a society which still makes health care available on the basis of need rather than on the basis of who can pay and where we still care enough about our neighbour to give support in a difficult time.

Thanks to you all

Deb and I now are off to Aldeburgh on the Suffolk coast for a few days. Rest and recuperation and Adnams beer and fish and chips.

No comments: