Tuesday 17 February 2009

16 February - Retirement from HSE

Today I submitted my formal notice of retirement. I am supposed to give 3 months notice but we have agreed a shorter time and my provisional retirement date is 31 March 2009.

I have been with HSE for 36 years and I have really enjoyed the variety of my work. I have been on the top of Humber Bridge and into the sewers of Birmingham. I have been in operating theatres and TV studios. I have been inside the double-skinned bottom of a ship under construction and the torpedo tubes of a submarine in dry dock. I have seen a rainbow inside a power station cooling tower and thrown up with the odour of rotting flesh in a fish meal factory. I have been on a helicopter to an oil rig 50 miles north of the Shetland Isles. And next month it all ends.

I have a list of things I can do in retirement. But I welcome any suggestions.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hi Eatons,

Just worked out how to respond to your blog - yes, I am a Luddite, I know! Chris - don't worry about it, I'm sure Deb will find you plenty to do. And your new "babies" they are adorable!!

Just want to send you both much love and let you know that I'm thinking of you. Deb, hope to hear from you whenever you're up to it and I hope to see you soon. Please remember, I am ALWAYS at the end of the phone. Jane xxxxx